CLICK TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT (NEW)
“PAY ATTENTION when STANDING becomes more easy than sitting and WALKING is more easy than sitting in a luxury car. If you are not taking care today, then tomorrow you might prefer to work in standing position”.
TAIL BONE PAIN (COCCYGODYNIA)
Understanding the human anatomy in all its complexities is very essential for any physician to provide effective treatments to any ailments. Microscopic anatomy gives us the indepth understanding of the minute anatomical structures. Coccyx or the Tailbone is located at the bottom of the spinal cord. It is made up of three or more bones, with some limited movements happening between them. Misalignment / Dislocation / Extra Growth of Coccyx calls for medical attention.
Etiology / Causes
Coccyx pain is often caused by
- Sitting continuously, like software and bankers (presently 60-70% cases)
- Accident or trauma
- Fall from steps (a very common cause)
- Bikers, Cyclists and sports men like rugby, skating, skiing
- Post pregnancy
Symptoms of coccydynia
- Pain while sitting or after sitting.
- Acute pain while standing after sitting.
- Pain experienced while sitting on soft surface and sometimes on hard surface.
- Severe pain around the coccyx.
- Experiencing pain when finger pressure is applied on the edge of the coccyx.
- Shooting pain down the leg.
- To experience like sitting on pebbles that moves around.
- To experience like sitting on a knife.
- To experience like being pierced by a garden cane.
- Pain during bowel movements, and sometimes before that.
- Pain during sexual intercourse, either in men or women.
- Acute pain experienced around the time of a woman’s monthly period (menstrual cycle).
- Sometimes experience pain while lying straight/ supine.
- Consult Specialist (Dr. Rajveer Singh (PT) / Dr. Syeda Mubashira (PT))
- Change positions
- Lean forward
- Lean to one side
- Find comfortable clothes
- Standing while others sit
- Comfortable position for sex
- Use cushion to prevent further damage, also helpful during treatment and recovery – Available
Primarily through conducting various tests like X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans and colonoscopy, the possibility of cancer should be detected and ruled out. The right cause should be analysed and it should be differentiated from lower back pain or other sources not related to the coccyx. Tests like Dynamic Tail Bone X-Ray or MRI of Tail Bone and lower spine helps to accurately identify the problem.
Pilonidal Sinus (pilonidal abscess or sacrococcygeal fistula) is a medical condition where a cyst, which often contains hair and skin debris is found near or on the natal cleft of the buttocks
Pudendal nuralgia is also a cause for acute pain, due to the compression of pudendal nerve (located in the pelvis).
- Pudendal Nuralgia
Pyriformis Syndrom Entrapment of pyriformis nerve in between pyriformis muscle fibers because of inflammation of muscle fibers.
S.I Joint Dysfunction S.I Joint pain should be ruled out before proceeding for coccyx treatment.
An experienced medical practitioner can rightly diagnose and differentiate the problem, and give appropriate and effective treatment. We will certainly relieve you from your pain and would help you to live better.